Friday, October 30, 2015

Carving Memories

I should be working on a paper I have due but have found myself arm deep in pumpkin guts. I know this may seem as though my priorities are askew. Maybe they are. My kids are all preparing for Halloween and All Saints Day and our youngest has invited us to join at his new home this year to help hand out treats. We are planning to carve pumpkins tomorrow the kids that are available. So I really should set some priorities and finish my paper. My children and myself love Halloween because of the fun memories we have of amazing costumes and elaborately carved pumpkins. Most of these fun things were made by my parents with love. My siblings and I won so many school costume contests as kids I think my mom might have had a competitive side to her we didn't always see! My father made pies for the school carnivals that always went to the highest bidders and my mother’s pumpkins (and costumes) were something to be in awe over. It was a time of getting in the mood for celebrating the coming holiday season. Yes, I did use the term holiday because at my house when growing up we sort of had a three month (four if you throw in Valentine’s Day) holiday party that climaxed at Christmas. My parents never actually emphasized the material things as you might suspect by what I have just written. Mom and Dad were about the magic and getting the most out of family time..the simple things. This started each fall with huge piles of leaves, lots of baking and of course Halloween fun. I love pumpkins their beautiful cheerful orange faces cannot be passed without a smile. I am assuming I got this love from my mother. She would usually only get one pumpkin (money was tight) and while we were at school she would spend hours; sometimes two afternoons making this glorious orange globe into a work of art. My mother would do this long before there were carving kits, patterns and Pinterest. Mamma only used her favorite carving knife; which she claims to this day she can’t work without. Mama’s jack-o’-lanterns would begin in her amazing imagination and be “painted” onto this plump orange canvas. She would add elaborate details and shading that would cause these to be beautiful before being lit but become museum worthy by adding a simple candle. Everyone who ever saw one of these creations was always left speechless. This year as was for the last few years mom cannot carve a pumpkin. She is too frail and her mind fades in and out of the present. Last week I went with my daughter in law to decorate pumpkins at the care center where mom needs to be. She played along well and was frustrated with applying the stickers and such they provided (they kept sticking to her hands and not the pumpkin). When her pumpkin was complete one of the aides asked if she could take a picture of her with her pumpkin and she agreed. As the photo was done mom’s memory kicked in and she told me that this pumpkin was nothing like “her” carved ones. She told me she was going to do that this year. About ten years ago I got mom one of the good quality foam carving pumpkin and asked her to carve that one that year so we could keep one of her lovely creations for when she couldn’t make them anymore. She agreed, but never did carve it. The pumpkin still sits whole on her porch each fall. Mom won’t ever be able to carve it or others. So this year in honor of family, memories, traditions and my mother I carved a pumpkin for my mother’s room. I used only a knife and a spoon (ok I used a skewer for a few dots, have no idea how mom did those). Mine turned out ok not anything as amazing as my mom’s and if mom is having a good day she will no doubt give me tips. But she will have her carved pumpkin to enjoy. So Mama here’s to all the magic, joy and smiles you brought us as children, to your grandchildren and others throughout the years with your unbridled imagination and love of life. Thanks for raising us to appreciate the little things and to celebrate every day. Sometimes life isn’t about the impact you purposely add to it but the memories you left that you didn’t know you were adding along the way.Copyright 2015 Micheline Edwards

No comments:

Post a Comment