Tuesday, March 27, 2018

Holy Water

It is Tuesday of Holy week as I sit here enjoying my coffee I am gazing out the window at the spring rain falling down. My thoughts are of my grandmother and parents telling me during my childhood that much of Holy week is rainy and that it always rains or is overcast on Good Friday as the world mourns and cleanses itself for the coming of Easter. It does seem that way. In fact many of the Easters I remember were overcast or had showers very early that made way for beautiful sunlight to follow. I remember the sunrise the morning after my confirmation well. It was cold and drizzly as we made it home from Mass that Saturday night. I woke up in the same room with the same morning light that always came in through my bedroom windows. That morning it was very focused across the bed where I was still laying (barely awake). I squinted but felt the need to stare into and absorb this light. Most people who know me well know that bright lights in the morning and I are not a match. It was a blindingly pure white light, extraordinarily bright yet very comforting. I remember laying there in bed with all kinds of thoughts in my head and an extreme moment of peace rushed over me before I got up to get ready for the day. I don’t think I’ve ever mentioned this very private or odd moment to anyone till now. As we enter Holy week we are beckoned as Christians to observe and fall into a moment in our lives of respect, mourning and even humble gratitude for our Lord. It would totally make sense that the weather might reflect this somber time during the year. This morning I decided to look into the matter. According to what I found online most sources claim that rain always falling on Good Friday is a myth. Some sources site that it is springtime; it’s supposed to rain. However, I did find even more sources that explained this legend as a reflection of the intense faith that we have. One psychologically based source reported that they felt that it rained no more or no less during Holy week or on Good Friday. This source thought that our minds and our intense belief only allow us to remember the rain because it is part of our sadness this week. I couldn’t find a source that confirmed nor denied, with any verifiable facts if the rain legend was true or not. As for me & my family I firmly believe that there is always rain during this week every year. As far back as I can remember it always seems to rain or be very overcast during at least a small part of Good Friday. So as I sit here this morning with the spring rain falling during Holy week, I contemplate the reason for the rain. Not that I always question the weather, however we do live in Missouri so it is plausible to at least pass judgement on the weather at any given time. No, I sit here with my coffee watching the rain cleanse & rejuvenate the world, allowing it to be a peaceful but somber and thought provoking time of reflection much like that moment of sunlight after my confirmation many, many years ago. Is the rain a sign from the heavens to His people? Maybe if you believe. Micheline Edwards©2018

No comments:

Post a Comment