Wednesday, September 28, 2011

Autumn Shade

It is the end of September and the beginning of autumn. I just ventured outside on this gorgeous fall day to take some table scraps to some of our furry farm friends. They are always so cheerful and happy to see you when you spend time with them. A pat on the head or a piece of fruit peel can make their day. I remember a time when my children were little; a lap to sit on or a cookie had the same effect. They were so greatful. As they get older, it seems that what we have to offer is just never enough. I don't know if it is their age, our society (my friends say they notice the same)or what. Pondering this thought, I headed back into the house. Nearing the side entrance that we use most often; I paused a moment to notice that our pear tree had finally gotten big enough to actually provide a decent amount of shade. I stood there in the cool of it's slowly changing, not so green leaves on this very warm September day. I listened to the birds and felt the breeze on my cheeks. I thought about how small my children had been when they helped my husband plant this tree, that now stands high above my head. The tree didn't ask to be planted but yet we did. Our children took such joy in tending this undemanding little plant. They are older now. I don't know if they even take the time to notice the fruits of their labor. It's leaves would tell us like a child's cry that it needed water, so we would water it. The tree was never demanding in fact it was often ignored or taken for granted. But here it stands thriving and tall and giving. When it speaks it speaks in quiet kindness. When it listens it hears with it's branches outstretched. When ever you go to it, there is something of wonder it shares. Maybe we should all be more like this tree, take a little less, be a little less demanding, more forgiving and stretch out our arms even when we feel someone is just using our "shade". They probably need it.

Copyright © 2011-2012 Micheline Edwards
All rights reserved to by Micheline Edwards.

1 comment:

  1. Wonderful - I enjoyed reading this today - thanks for sharing your heart....

    ReplyDelete