Friday, May 3, 2013

Tests, Graduations and Good Things

I was at home this morning sorting out the week’s calendar, calls and correspondence. I believe I had one, two or three cups of coffee too many and my brain went into overdrive. We have so much on our approaching calendar and so much to be thankful for. We will be celebrating with two of our five children this month as they attend their respective graduations. We have one high school graduate and one college graduate. There is also an “unspoken sort of graduate” approaching as well. I am graduating from having young children in my home. All of our children will be (after this month) either in college or beyond. This doesn't represent the end of parenting but like a high school or college graduation it represents a lot of changes/choices I will need to be making in my life this year. Two of our children are still living at home (while they attend their first couple of years of college). When they are at the house I hope to be there also, to share their lives, their joys, their concerns and the daily jumble of things they encounter. Alas, I also know that at their ages these sharing sessions are different and also come at weird times; midnight, two in the afternoon, when they are hungry (lots of boys!) or a having a crisis. The sharing is not always the breakfast, bedtime or commute conversation we had when they were smaller. There are times when they will want to take a walk and talk; or give me a call to share a special moment. For these treasured times I am very blessed. As parents we spend so much time living both through and with our children that as they grow we have a hard time separating our lives from theirs. I am not sure there is ever a true separation. I would hardly consider myself an empty nester. I am neither sad nor in mental turmoil over this change. I am in awe at the lively, beautiful, and Godly young adults before me. I am so proud of them. I can’t wait to see what they decide to do with their futures and how they shape and mold their own families as they marry and begin those chapters as well. Like a teacher at the end of the school year; this is the close of one year and the anticipation of the next. Most educators find joy in seeing their students in later years and hearing of the wonderful journeys they have taken. I have been my children’s teacher, mentor, friend and parent for most of my adult life. Now it is time to decide my new chapter. Returning to school, working, improving my business, hobbies, trips, dates with the love of my life, enjoying grandchildren and being active in my children’s lives are still all on the activity wheel of life. When we view being a parent before we are actually one, we seem to think that there is a clear cut break when the children move on. When we are actually parents we then look at the milestones; “When Jack is out of diapers”, “when Susie starts school”, “when we don’t need a sitter anymore”, “when Amy starts driving”, “when Mark graduates”. Well folks, I have passed a lot of “whens” and I have to tell you there is always going to be another “when” waiting if you are an involved parent that loves your child(ren). This is however a time in every parent’s life when the “whens” and the “I can take a different route” come together. I haven’t decided what route that is going to be. I know it needs to lead somewhere and I have several destinations I am entertaining; but none of them seem to be jumping up and down and waving at me. None of my choices are hanging on my pants leg whining or sticking their fingers under the bathroom door saying they need me. I am not used to choosing without a squeaky (although always precious) wheel or a school calendar dictating for me. There are times when prayer is the best answer and this is one of those times. As graduation approaches for my children, for my friend’s children, for my friends who’s “whens” are diminishing and for my own self I pray. ~ “Dear heavenly Father may you look upon all those graduating onward to new adventure in life and grant them these blessings; May their weeks, months and years ahead become a molding of the future they envision. Guide them with peace and direction so that each and every one of them on their continued journeys finds joy, happiness and grace in what they choose. May they search in prayer for your will and guidance in each decision they make. Lord may you walk beside them always and hold their hands when needed and grant them bright futures” Amen.” ~ While there is no grand “Umf” to this post, there is a message to move forward in life with purpose, grace and prayers for wisdom in your choices. Sometimes the choices we make in life are simple and sometimes like hearing God when he speaks to us; answers to choices are not easily seen or heard. I will look forward to the coming busy calendar days this month with glad heart (and a little stress). I will hope and pray that the choices I make and those my children make serve God, themselves and those they love and care about with purpose and joy. “Test all things, hold fast to what is good” ~1 Thessalonians 5:21. I will hold fast to family and what is good. I will also test all the new things coming into my life and hope that everyone does the same. Congratulations to all those who are graduating on to new and wonderful things this spring! Copyright Micheline Edwards 2013

No comments:

Post a Comment