Thursday, March 23, 2017

Using All Your Colors

Last night I attended an art exhibition; a mind enlightening experience in itself. The room was filled with many diverse guests from all over the world. I stood at the balcony watching the sunset over the mountains as I sipped a glass of wine. The sun hidden, I slowly made my way back into the gallery; watching the guests as I weaved through the crowd to my table. I am a people watcher. I admit it. I love quiet sparsely populated places most of the time but densely populated spaces often catch my attention; stirring thoughts race though my head. I watched the interactions, choices, facial expressions, words spoken and moods that seeped into the room with the same thought intensity that captured me as I strolled through the gallery earlier in the evening. The room was an array of emotion, all taking in the same experience. I feel that your ability to immerse yourself in a moment often shapes your life more than the event itself. Some like art, some don't, some find mingling intrusive while others thrive on it. The bottom line I observed wasn't whether or not a person actually enjoyed the activity but how they engaged in the particular event. Like art; life is subjective. The experiences a person has prior to viewing a particular work of art can actively change the way they view that piece. Their mood or thoughts can affect their perception of whether a piece brings joy beyond words, is ordinary, repulsive and so on. I watched and noticed that everyone’s experience was a work of art. What they put on their plates, how they engaged in the exhibit and with those around them was all painted by the “colors” they carried around with them. Those who were leaving their "colors" put away, generally ended conversations, made bland choices and overall they didn’t engage. They seemed at best bored with the whole experience. Those that took in the space, selecting “vibrant colors”, engaged, laughed, mingled among the artwork, ate delicious food and enjoyed the evening. We all are handed a new box of colors at different times in life. Like the crayons we used during our school days we wear them out, lose them and forget where we left them. Many of us always wear out the same colors over and over again and sit there wondering why our lives always look the same. In order for the picture to be different you need to use all the crayons in your box all the time. If you don’t like the picture you are creating of your life maybe take out a sharp new color you’ve never used before. More color creates more opportunity for something beautiful. More color invites healthier choices, better moods, more engagement with others and a generally brighter, more cheerful and ridiculously amazing life.Copyright © 2017 Micheline Edwards

No comments:

Post a Comment